Saturday, November 5, 2011

Sweet things

I don't think I've mentioned it, but my Hubby was gone for almost 1 week (lucky guy got to visit Germany.. though it was for medical reasons so I guess I really shouldn't envy him too much!..) and thankfully the days flew by quickly! He's coming home tonight and of course I had to bake something in order to celebrate his return! (Not that one really needs a reason.. but it's always nice to have an extra special occasion, no? ;-) )

Anyway, I recently read on Meet the Shannons an entry about a Lemon Bundt cake and I was immediately intrigued! I love the fresh taste of lemon in cakes, so it was clear I'd make it soon! Today, 3 days later it is done and while I know that my glaze looks pretty sloppy.. being too impatient to wait any longer for the cake to cool down any more.., I'm hoping it'll be good!
[I can't tell you yet if it is since we'll have to wait for Hubby to come home first -which will be in the evening.. *sigh*- but given the fact that I have yet to come across something that doesn't taste good from MTS's site, I'm really looking forward to test it tonight! ;-) ]

You can find the recipe here Lemon Bundt Cake
(thank you, Anni, for sharing it with us!)



And because I was in the baking mood in general, I also did 2 more 'projects', one of which failed miserably *blush*
It's Isa's Marbled Banana Bread that I somehow ruined completely!..
I don't know what I did wrong.. I know I somehow tweaked the recipe a bit by using coconut oil instead of canola but the rest stayed the way it was and yet, this is my horrible outcome (yes, I'm not too proud to also show you my failed results! *lol*)


You can see, it's not even done! Even though I added another 30 min baking time!.. Oh well.. maybe next time?..

The good thing is, shortly after a failure there seems to follow a success again!
I had some left over pumpkin puree that I wanted to put to good use and being on the sweet/baking trip, I figured, why not make Lindsay's (from Happy Herbivore Pumpkin-Raisin Oatmeal Cookie =)

Yummy!!!

Pumpkin-Raisin Oatmeal Cookies 

Ingredients:

·                     ¼ cup raisins
·                     6 tbsp canned pure pumpkin
·                     ¼ cup pure maple syrup
·                     ½ cup raw sugar
·                     ½ whole banana, mashed
·                     2 tbsp non-dairy milk
·                      cups rolled oats
·                     ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
·                     ¼ tbsp pumpkin pie spice
·                     ¼ tsp baking soda

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper and set aside. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, maple, sugar, banana and non-dairy milk together. In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice together and then transfer it into the wet mixture. Stir a few times then add raisins. Continue to mix until combined. It may look too dry initially, but keep stroking, it will incorporate perfectly. Drop spoonfuls on a greased cookie sheet and bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until firm to the touch and spring-like.


~*~*~ 
I hope I got you in the mood a bit to bake for yourself? ;-)
Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Val! I think your marbled banana bread looks scrumptious. Even if your cooking issues, it still looks delicious.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marion,
    thank you! :) I guess I was just disappointed with my result after seeing how nice Isa's looked like! I definitely did something wrong lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val, I don't know how you can say that banana chocolate cake failed. I think it looks incredible too! Mmmmmmm, just looking at it makes me want to break off a chunk and gobble it down. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Lee, thank you! It's very kind of you to say! It really *is* the flattest one I've ever seen! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm That lemon bundt cake looks sooo heavenly! I love lemon cake too.. I am going to have to check out that recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Farrah!
    The taste was excellent as well, but for some reason it was very dense and not fluffy as I imagined it to be!.. :(
    I don't know why and will have to experiment with the recipe a bit I guess.. Should you make it yourself, please let me know how yours turns out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to come back and look at the cake again....
    I love how perfectly marbled and moist it looks! Never mind the flatness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Lee! I have yet to try it again, hopefully less flat this time. The look is really deceiving as it didn't taste that good! ;)

    ReplyDelete