Saturday, June 30, 2012

Apple Shortcake with 'cream'

Here I am again, finally having something blog-worthy to present! ;)
Like almost every weekend, I felt the need again to create something sweet and after the last episode of 'Master Chef' [I hate when they use meat and cringe especially when they're using veal!.. But overall I like the show!] I had in mind to make something a la 'Strawberry Shortcake' style.
I didn't have any strawberries nor any other berries... but I had 2 lonely apples sitting there, so that's how I came up with making Apple Shortcake! ^_^

Unfortunately I don't remember anymore where exactly I got the recipe for the biscuits for... I really need to make more notes while I'm surfing the net for new recipes and print pages after pages!..

Alright, here it goes:

~* Apple Shortcake *~

Biscuit

Dry ingredients:
2 c flour (1 c whole wheat, 1 c white)
1/4 c turbinado sugar (I'm sure one can also use agave syrup)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Wet ingredients:
3/4 c warm water
1/4 c coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla flavoring
1/2 tsp almond flavoring

Directions:
* Preheat oven to 400 F and grease a cookie sheet.
*Combine all dry ingredients, then add the wet ones, mix thoroughly.
The dough is very sticky, so I just took little parts off and formed them into a small ball, then flattened it a bit on the sheet.
  I got 7 big sized biscuits.
*Bake for 12-15 minutes until they're golden brown.

Apple slices

2-3 apples, sliced thin
cinnamon
brown sugar

*Sautee the apple slices with a bit of water in a frying pan until they're nice and soft, ~5-8 minutes, depending on the thickness of the apple slices.
*Add the cinnamon and brown sugar and let it all caramelize for another ~5 minutes.

'Cream'

1 pck Silken tofu (firm or soft, doesn't matter)
1/2 c powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla flavoring
1-2 Tbsp maple syrup 

*Add tofu, powdered sugar, vanilla & maple syrup in a food processor or blender and blend until everything is nice and creamy.
*Refrigerate until you're ready to use it.

Voila, ready! =)


2 comments: