Sunday, October 21, 2012

Zucchini Soup and more bread! ;)

I don't know about you, but I love zucchini! I love them in zucchini bread, I love them sliced and baked in the oven, I like them as a lasagna... and of course I love them in soup!!! (No big surprise there, right!? ;) )

So while I never really had a firm recipe to follow for a soup, I came up with a creation 2 days ago that I have to share as it was sooo good!!! Hubby couldn't stop raving -and that means a lot! (That's my personal 5* rating if he continues to go on and on how yummy a dish is! LOL)

~* Creamy Zucchini soup*~

*1 onion, diced
*3 medium zucchini, diced
*3 medium/large potatoes, diced
*4 c veggie broth (or water)
*~1/2 c plant milk (I used home made coconut milk)
*~1 Tbsp coconut oil (or any other oil of your choice)
*spices as salt, pepper, curry!

Directions:
Sautee the onion in the coconut oil until translucent
Add some of the broth (or water) as well as the diced zucchini & potatoes.
Pour the rest of the broth (or water) in as well as the plant milk and add salt, pepper as well as some curry powder (all to your taste!).

If using a pressure cooker [like I did], let the pressure come up, cook for 3 minutes under pressure, remove from the heat and let the pressure come down naturally for a few minutes and then release it under cold water manually completely.
Once the lid is removed, use a stick blender to blend the soup.
Done! ;)

Note: If you don't have  a pressure cooker (though you should really get one! ^_^) you can simply cook the soup in a regular pot for ~25-30 minutes or however long it takes until the potatoes are done! (I don't even remember how long it takes since I *always* use my pressure cooker! LOL)


So simple and yet so delicious!!!
The ratio of zucchini/potato was just right! :)

Now onto the bread recipe! 
I bought a pack of whole flax seeds today (Bob's Red Mill) and couldn't help but notice a recipe for bread on the back!
Of course I had to give it a try immediately and what can I say!? It's AWESOME!!!


~* 3-Seed Bread*~

*1 1/4 c water
*2 Tbsp Honey (or agave syrup)
*2 Tbsp oil (I used canola)
*2 c unbleached white flour (I used bread flour)
*1 c whole wheat flour
*1 1/2 tsp sea salt
*1/3 c whole flax seeds
*2 Tbsp sunflower seed kernels
*1 Tbsp poppy seeds
*2 tsp active dry yeast

Add all ingredients to the bread machine according to the recommendations of the bread machine manufacturer and select basic bread cycle. (I actually chose the whole wheat cycle by accident and also chose the speedy option where it only baked for 2.5 hrs vs. almost 4 and it came out perfect!)

Let it cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.


It was seriously amazing! It's soo fluffy inside and I love all the seeds!

~*~*~

Disclaimer: Yes, I use raw honey we get from a small local beekeeper!
While I know, many might now claim that I am not a 'true' vegan, but I personally don't agree with that kind of debate! 
To me it has many more health benefits than not and to be honest it's also not the same as if I would consume dairy or eggs from mammals! Just my 0.02$!
Let's please not fight over this subject and just move on, shall we?
Live and let live! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment