Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Stuffed peppers

I'm a bit on the 'typical German meals' trip lately, probably also due to surfing German vegan blogs more again these days ;). Either way, today I decided spontaneously to make stuffed peppers with the leftovers I had in the fridge.
Hubby declared they were ok but I think he was disappointed that I didn't go the more 'classic' route... Soo.. next time I'll probably do TVP and brown rice again for his sake! ;)

 ~* Stuffed Peppers *~ Serves 2

Filling
~1 c cooked quinoa
~1 c cubed tofu (I had it marinated but I don't think it mattered)
1 can of black beans
1/2 avocado, diced
1 onion, diced
1/2 can diced tomatoes
1-2 tsp minced garlic
salt, pepper, smoked paprika, cumin
~ 1/2 c water or veggie broth 
~*~
2 medium-big sized peppers
 ~*~

Fry the onion in the pan until soft, add the garlic, then tofu, brown everything.
Add the black beans, avocado, diced tomatoes and broth, simmer for a few minutes.
Add spices according to your taste.

Meanwhile pre-heat the oven to 350F and get the peppers ready, trim the top off, clean them out, rinse and when the filling is ready, stuff them with it.

Pour a bit of water/broth with at the bottom of a small baking dish, add the stuffed peppers and cover with tin foil (I'm sure you can also do without, I personally prefer it this way to make sure they're getting steamed and not burned!), bake for ~20-25 minutes or until the peppers are really soft.
Done!






Those suckers were huge so we actually had some leftovers (which I froze; it'll be a nice quick smaller meal for 1 person).

If you're open to a non-traditional (German) stuffed peppers recipe, then this might work for you! ;)

And because I promised you, more cat pics would follow, here's a most recent one of our little Pixie girl, all relaxed on the couch (next to me)

 Isn't she precious!?

2 comments:

  1. I think your version looks great! When I was a kid I hated stuffed peppers and my boyfriend hates them, too. Once we were talking about it and found out it was because everyone we knew always used green bell peppers for this dish. So we made them with red peppers and we changed our minds. I have to make some stuffed peppers soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :)
    I never liked stuffed peppers as a kid either; I remember my mom actually giving me only the stuffing without the pepper! LOL
    I can see how green peppers make it a bit harder to like this dish since they are a bit more bitter in taste!

    ReplyDelete