Tuesday, September 3, 2013

When in Pennsylvania...

... do as the Pennsylvanian Dutch do, right? :D Or at least so I thought when I came across a recipe for a Pennsylvania Dutch Crumb Cake. :D
 It was easy to veganize and quickly put together. (Unfortunately another fail regarding a pic... It was devoured quicker than I could think of getting my camera! :o Next time, I swear!)

~* Pennsylvania Dutch Crumb Cake *~ 

*2 c AP flour (next time I'll do 50/50 with whole wheat or other healthy flour! ;) )
*1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 c sugar (I only used 1/2)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 c (5 1/3 Tbsp) butter or shortening, diced [I used coconut oil]
3/4 c buttermilk [I used almond milk + 1 tsp vinegar]
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 beaten egg [1 Tbsp flax, 3 Tbsp water]
Optional: 1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease & flour an 8-inch round cake pan or similar rectangle pan/baking dish.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar & cinnamon.
With the tips of your fingers work fat into mixture until completely integrated. [At this point I actually used my beloved Dough mixer]
It's ok to see flakes of fat. Reserve 1/2 c of this mixture for the topping, to be used later!

In a separate bowl, combine egg (flax), buttermilk and baking soda. If using vanilla, add now. Using a rubber spatula, fold wet ingredients into dry until well combined.

In a small bowl, combine brown sugar with the reserved flour mixture. Pour batter into pan. Top with crumb mixture and bake for about 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out almost clean.
Note: Amounts can be doubled for two cakes.


1 comment:

  1. It really is! ;) In total it took maybe 10 minutes to whip it all together!

    ReplyDelete