Sunday, July 1, 2012

Savory Amaranth Patties

I finally took the plunge the other day and cooked some Amaranth! Hoping for the best I just threw 1 cup with 2 cups of water into my rice cooker just as I do with Quinoa! It cooked well but afterwards I honestly had *no* clue what to do with it! LOL 
It smells rather earthy and was very mushy (maybe the rice cooker wasn't such a good idea? Apparently on the stove it only cooks for ~20 minutes) and the idea to use it as a warm porridge style breakfast or snack wasn't appealing to me!
Long story short, I asked my fellow vegan online friends and one of them told me to try the 'Savory Amaranth Patties' from Robin Robertson's '1000 Vegan Recipes'. (It was about time I finally picked that one up and cooked something from it anyway! It's a shame how many of my vegan cook books are 'virgins' in my shelf!..)

Long story short, this patty was amazing!!! I've made it together with Robin's Lemon Tahini sauce just as she suggests in the book and all I can say is 'Wow'! 
I'll for sure be making this dish many more times from now on!!!

I've asked Robin if I may share the recipe; as soon as I hear back from her, I'll post it here!

Until then, here's a little teaser for you all:



Hubby's plate ;) 

Alright, I got the 'green light' from Robin to share the recipe! *yay*
Here it is:

~* Savory Amaranth Patties *~

*Ingredients:*
1 c water
1/2 c amaranth
salt
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 c minced onion
1/2 c shredded carrots
1/2 c ground walnuts [I had none and used almonds]
1 tsp soy sauce
2 tbsp wheat gluten flour (vital wheat gluten)
2 tbsp mined parsley or cilantro
Freshly ground black pepper

1. In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil over high heat. Add the amaranth and salt to taste and reduce to heat to low. Cover and simmer until the amaranth is cooked, about 15-20 minutes. Set aside. [I cooked 1 c of amaranth with 2 c of water in my rice cooker - I do so with Quinoa too- and then used 1/2 c of the cooked amount for the patty recipe].

2. In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil, add the onion and carrots. Cook until soft, ~5 min. Stir in the walnuts and cook for another ~2 min. Transfer the mix to a large bowl.
Add the soy sauce, flour, parsley and salt & pepper to taste.
Add the cooked amaranth and mix well.

3.Form mix into 4 patties. Heat the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add the patties and cook until browned on both sides, turning once, about 10 min total.

I've served it with Robin's ~*Lemon Tahini Sauce*~:

3 tbsp tahini (sesame paste)
1 tsp minced garlic
3 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp soy sauce (I used Bragg's amino)
2 tbsp toasted sesame oil (I only used 1 tbsp)
1/3 c water (I probably used a little less)
2 tbsp minced fresh parsley

Whisk everything together, add more water to desired consistency. (I don't like my sauces too runny..). If you're not using the sauce right away, it can be refrigerated for 2-3 days. When you're ready to use it, warm it up over low heat or let it warm up to room temperature by getting it out of the fridge a few minutes before needing it.

The recipe makes only 1 cup total so you might want to double it up since it goes fast!  (It's also delicious with pasta or over marinated tofu, kale, spinach or rice & beans!)

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment