Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Comfort food II -Spaghetti with 'meatballs'

Nothing spells more 'comfort food' than pasta and fresh bread or rolls to me!
Yesterday we had a classic comfort food (for me), spaghetti with 'meaty balls' from Jo Stephaniak's Vegan Vittles (great book, buy it if you don't own it yet!).
Since you can find the recipe by doing a Google search for it, I feel ok to share it with you all! ;)

In her book she says it makes 12 balls but I actually got 18 out of the mix!
Since I calculated the nutritional value per ball, I can even tell you that info too! =)

~* 'Meaty balls' from Vegan Vittles *~

Ingredients:

1 cup TVP granules
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried parsley flakes
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp dry mustard
3/4 cup boiling water
2 Tb ketchup
2 Tb lite soy sauce or Bragg's
1 rounded Tb smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup flour, any kind
1 Tb nutritional yeast flakes (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.  Mist a baking sheet with nonstick spray or line with parchment paper.
Place TVP and dry spices in bowl and combine well.  In small bowl, combine boiled water, ketchup, and soy sauce and stir until blended.  Pour into the TVP mixture and stir well.  Let rest for 5-10 minutes.
Add peanut butter and mix well until it is incorporated.  Stir in flour and optional nutritional yeast thoroughly.  form into 12 (or more) walnut-sized balls and arrange on baking sheet.  Mist tops and sides with nonstick spray and bake for 25-30 minutes, turning over once during baking.


Sprinkled with some home made 'Parmesan cheez' (ground sesame seeds, walnuts & some nutritional yeast).

Nutritional value (1 ball): 28 calories, 0 g fat, 3.1 g carbs, 0.6 g fiber, 0 g sugar, 2.8 g protein.

Guten Appetit!

~*~*~

Speaking of comfort food:
A recipe for some dinner rolls (sourdough this time) will follow soon! ;)

4 comments:

  1. Nice! Minimum clicking, maximum drooling!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I aim to please with the pics! ;) (No, seriously, thanks for letting me know there's even an option! ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great. I'm yet to find a meatball recipe that I love so I'll have to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I hope you'll enjoy them! :)

    ReplyDelete