Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Stuffed peppers

I'm a bit on the 'typical German meals' trip lately, probably also due to surfing German vegan blogs more again these days ;). Either way, today I decided spontaneously to make stuffed peppers with the leftovers I had in the fridge.
Hubby declared they were ok but I think he was disappointed that I didn't go the more 'classic' route... Soo.. next time I'll probably do TVP and brown rice again for his sake! ;)

 ~* Stuffed Peppers *~ Serves 2

Filling
~1 c cooked quinoa
~1 c cubed tofu (I had it marinated but I don't think it mattered)
1 can of black beans
1/2 avocado, diced
1 onion, diced
1/2 can diced tomatoes
1-2 tsp minced garlic
salt, pepper, smoked paprika, cumin
~ 1/2 c water or veggie broth 
~*~
2 medium-big sized peppers
 ~*~

Fry the onion in the pan until soft, add the garlic, then tofu, brown everything.
Add the black beans, avocado, diced tomatoes and broth, simmer for a few minutes.
Add spices according to your taste.

Meanwhile pre-heat the oven to 350F and get the peppers ready, trim the top off, clean them out, rinse and when the filling is ready, stuff them with it.

Pour a bit of water/broth with at the bottom of a small baking dish, add the stuffed peppers and cover with tin foil (I'm sure you can also do without, I personally prefer it this way to make sure they're getting steamed and not burned!), bake for ~20-25 minutes or until the peppers are really soft.
Done!






Those suckers were huge so we actually had some leftovers (which I froze; it'll be a nice quick smaller meal for 1 person).

If you're open to a non-traditional (German) stuffed peppers recipe, then this might work for you! ;)

And because I promised you, more cat pics would follow, here's a most recent one of our little Pixie girl, all relaxed on the couch (next to me)

 Isn't she precious!?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks! :)
    I never liked stuffed peppers as a kid either; I remember my mom actually giving me only the stuffing without the pepper! LOL
    I can see how green peppers make it a bit harder to like this dish since they are a bit more bitter in taste!

    ReplyDelete