Monday, October 3, 2011

Chocolate 'Brownie' with ooey goey PB layer

Ahh.. I absolutey love the world wide web! =)
I came across this amazing recipe (Post Punk Kitchen) and of course I had to give it a try right away!
It was another hit with my family!


Chocolate Brownie with PB layer 
(credits to PPK)


Preheat oven to 350 F.


Chocolate Brownie Layer
6 Tbs safflower, peanut, or coconut oil
1 cup sugar
1 ts vanilla
2 ts whole or ground flax seeds
1/4 cup soy, almond, or rice milk
1 cup all purp or flour or white whole wheat
6 Tb cocoa powder
1/2 ts baking soda
1/4 ts salt

Blend milk and flax in a blender for 30 seconds or so. Set aside.
In a large bowl sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
In a seperate large bowl cream together oil and sugar. Add the flax seed/soy milk mixture and mix well. Add the vanilla. Pour wet mixture into the dry ingredients and beat until everything is incorporated. Press into a lightly oiled 11x7 in brownie pan.

Ooey Goey Layer
1 cup pb
1 cup sugar [I used 1/2]
1 ts vanilla
1/2 cup almond, soy or rice milk

Beat ingredients till smooth. Mixture will be thick. Pour onto the cookie layer and spread evenly, being careful not to break up the cookie.Bake for 35 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting into squares.

*Yum*

~*~*~

And even though this has nothing to do with vegan food, I just have to share this pic! 
I took it last night, right outside our main entrance. I never saw a dragonfly that close up before! Quite cool looking, no? =)


That's the closest I got to it.. I was afraid, any closer and it might buzz off.. with my luck right into me! [I have a slight 'fear' of anything that has wings and flies, no matter if it's a full grown eagle, a tiny sparrow or a butterfly! LOL Silly, I know! *blush*] 
I really want a macro lens!!!

8 comments:

  1. How pretty! You can get a macro adapter for like $60. Just connects to your lens and works like a macro. I know they have a great one on photojojo.com.
    Anyhow, I want those brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, MsChandandlerBong (*ggg*)! I'll have to check out that website! Do you have a macro adapter for your camera?
    Oh and if I'd know the brownies stay good in the time they travel from me to you, I'd send you a huge box in a heartbeat! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm
    I have some homemade peanut butter, and everything else on the ingredient list ( but my oil is sunflower seed, and my milk is not vegan...) Do you think the recipe would work and taste good?

    ReplyDelete
  4. madame,
    since vegans often veganize omni-recipes, I'm sure you could to the other way around! ;)
    The coconut oil which I've used, gives the batter a slightly sweet flavor. I'm not sure about the sunflower seed. If it's a neutral taste, I'd guess it works though! :) (Or sub it with apple sauce?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your reply, Momof2gremlins!
    I guess it makes sense that you can turn the recipe around ;)
    The sunflowerseed oil I use is cold pressed and has a sort-of nutty flavor.

    I like the idea of using egg substitutes. The flax seed would add some extra goodness like Omega 3 and fiber to the recipe.
    I'll try it out and let you know how it went! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No problem! ;)
    Looking forward to hear from you! (I like flax seeds for the omega 3 & fiber reason as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, just saw this. No I do not have the macro adapter but a friend does. I have seen the results and they are pretty decent. For an adapter. So, I want one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No worries! ;)
    My dad found something online for me which will actually work as an 'in-between' adapter for my lens and his macro adapter (which is 10 mm bigger than my lens..). We'll see how that'll work! ;)
    You'd be able to get one easily, considering where you live at the moment! I know, Akihabara was always 'Heaven' for my dad as well as for me as a kid. ;)

    ReplyDelete