Saturday, October 1, 2011

Happy Vegan MoFo! :)


Today is World Vegetarian Day as well as the beginning of the 
Vegan Month of Food! =)

I'll try to post especially many recipes and food pics this month! ;)

~*~*~

To start out, a few friends on Facebook have been asking for the recipe 
of the Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Icing of which I've posted a pic on FB as well as here if you've read yesterday's post. If not, here it is again ;-) 



I can't take credit for the recipe, however!!! I've come across the recipe on another vegan blog and truly wish I'd have made a note in my printed copy from whom it is!.. [If anyone out there recognizes this recipe as their own, a big "Thank you!" from me!!!]

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Icing
makes 12 regular sizes cupcakes

1 1/4 c fresh cooked [or canned] pumpkin
1c sugar [I used 1/3 c and it's still plenty sweet]
1/4 c oil [I used coconut oil]
1/4 c soy milk [or any other plant milk, I love almond!]
1 tsp vanilla extract

1 1/4 c flour (white, unbleached)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg*
1/4 tsp cloves*
[*I used 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice since I ran out of the above]
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (or 180 degrees C), grease muffin tins.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together pumpkin, sugar, oil, soy [or other] milk and vanilla.
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices.
Add dry ingredients to wet; mix until just moistened.

Pour into muffin tin [I use an ice cream scooper, makes the perfect portion per cupcake IMO] and bake for 20-22 min. or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

In the meantime, stir together all icing ingredients until smooth.
Drizzle cupcakes with icing and refrigerate to set.

Icing:
1 c powdered sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

2 1/2 tbsp vegan margarine, melted [I use coconut oil]
1 tbsp soy [or other plant] milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract.

Buon Appetito! =)


Edit: I made the 2nd batch today with 50/50 pumpkin/sweet potato since I didn't have enough pumpkin left (gotta love when the only store that carries canned pumpkin is out of it since months!..*sigh*) so I used a part of the baked yam/sweet potato and colored the frosting orange this time too.
It tasted just as good! ;-)

6 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmm yummy! Thanks for sharing :)

    Ruth (aka Madame)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val, they look awesome! So moist! I wonder where the original recipe is from, it sounds slightly familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I could only remember, Lee!!! I really need to start making notes in my printed recipes!.. *blush* They're really divine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to make some pumpkin bread or something, maybe I will try this recipe. But, we don't even get canned pumpkin here. Not even for the holidays, I asked! But, they have fresh ones now. They look yummy. I wish I was back "home" so I could come by and try all your yummy treats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the commi doesn't have canned pumpkin over there? I wonder, why? But then again, according to the manager from the commi here, we get ours from Germany!?? [They've been out for over 1 year now, but supposedly get more before the holidays.. I don't have much faith in that! LOL]
    If you bake the fresh pumpkin in the oven first, it should work though! Give it a try!

    I wish you'd be back here too!!! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete