Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Hillbilly Banana Bread and home made rice milk

I know, I've been slacking a bit in posting dishes and recipes daily... 
My apologies! 
Murphy's Law ("If anything can go wrong, it will")  happened to be going on for us these past days, so needless to say, I wasn't in the best mood to take pics of food or even talk about food..
Which is actually kinda sad as I've made (for the '100th' time) a real yummy Curry that tasted sooo good and I wish would have taken the time to get a snapshot at least!.. Oh well.. I'm sure we'll have it again soon!

For today I'm posting a quick recipe for home made rice milk as well as a veganized version of a banana bread found on Hillbilly Housewife  

It's called My best banana bread
My veganization:


*I've cut down the sugar to 2/3 
*Instead of margarine or corn oil I used coconut oil.
* I just used ~1/2 c water with a splash of lemon juice due to not having any OJ
* I added my last soy yogurt [which needed to be eaten anyway] since I only had 2 ripe bananas
* Also I had to use 'Valencia Orange zests' ~1 Tbsp for this mix as there was no orange in sight here. 
*I used whole wheat for the entire amount of 2.5 c of flour
~*~*~
The results.. I couldn't taste anything orange-y at all, so most likely it would have been best using real OJ and maybe a teeny tiny bit more sugar.. I'll try it with the OJ alone first though.


It's not the best pic, but you get the idea.


As for the Rice milk it's really very simple but might not be everyone's taste!
(Personally I'm not a big fan of it either, but my Hubby and daughter like it. My son doesn't even wanna try it! *lol*)


How to make your own rice milk:
Cook rice in the pot (I'm on a Basmati kick lately), when it's ready to pour the rice in a strainer, collect the water!
Let it cool down, pour through a smaller strainer (there's a little gelatinous glob forming in the cooled down 'milk' for whatever reason..), add a bit of sugar (or not), vanilla flavoring (again, or not) and voila.
Your own home made rice milk! ;-)  

1 comment: